24 HOURS ACCIDENT, EMERGENCY, AMBULANCE & SERVICES KINDLY CONTACT US AT +91 80 4012 8200, +91 80 40128250, +91 9686452704, +91 9686452704, +91 80 22275081, +91 22275082 or EMAIL US AT - admin@stmarthas.in, enquiry@stmarthas.in


History

The Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd (known as Good Shepherd Sisters) founded by St. John Eudes (1601-1680) & St. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier (1796-1868), are an international congregation of religious women in the Roman Catholic Church, numbering almost 3,625 present in 72 countries in five continents . The Good Shepherd Sisters work with women and children who have been wounded by life’s circumstances and living at the edge of society.
In 1854, at the request of Bishop Charbonneau, Sister Mary Euphrasia Pelletier sent five sisters to Bengaluru, thus becoming the first religious sisters in the city dedicating themselves wholeheartedly to the empowerment of young girls and women, through education and skill training.
In 1882, a great drought brought in its wake famine and illness of every kind, culminating in diseases like plague, which decimated a number of people. Bowring Hospital was meant primarily for army personnel left no hospital for civilians, particularly the poor. At the request and generous donation of 20 acres of land by the Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Chamaraja Wodeyar X, who was impressed with the selfless work of the Good Shepherd Sisters, St. Martha's Hospital was established on 28th July 1886 on the eve of the feast of St. Martha, the friend of Jesus, in whose house He would often go to seek rest and repose on his many long and weary journeys.
In the spirit of its patron, this ‘People’s Hospital’ still continues, to receive Jesus as a spiritual guest in every patient that comes to the hospital for 'cure, care and comfort'.
Since then, St. Martha’s Hospital, has grown from a 50 bed hospital to a well- equipped, competent and affordable 550 bedded multi-specialty hospital. The Hospital soon started a School Of Nursing in the year 1933 and College Of Nursing in the year 1998.